top of page

What Financial Support is Available for Chronic Pain Sufferers?

Two people checking over invoices and calulating costs.

In England and Wales, chronic pain sufferers may be eligible for various forms of financial support to help alleviate the financial burden associated with their condition.

Here are some of the key financial support options available (please ensure you check the Government website for any updates regarding support and eligibility)

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

ESA is a benefit for individuals who are unable to work due to illness or disability. Chronic pain sufferers may qualify for ESA if their condition prevents them from working or engaging in substantial gainful activity. ESA provides financial support to help cover living expenses, and eligibility is determined based on an assessment of the individual's ability to work and their medical condition.

Read more about ESA from Gov.UK

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is a non-means-tested benefit designed to help individuals with long-term health conditions or disabilities meet the extra costs of living independently. Chronic pain sufferers may qualify for PIP if their condition causes significant difficulty with daily living activities or mobility. PIP is divided into two components: daily living component and mobility component, and eligibility is assessed based on a points system.

Read more about PIP from Gov.UK

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for Children

DLA is a tax-free benefit for children under 16 who have a health condition or disability that requires extra care or mobility support. Children with chronic pain conditions may be eligible for DLA if their condition significantly impacts their daily lives and requires additional care or supervision.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a means-tested benefit that provides financial support to individuals and families on low incomes or who are out of work. Chronic pain sufferers may be eligible for Universal Credit if they meet the eligibility criteria, which include income and capital thresholds, as well as other factors such as housing costs and caring responsibilities.

Access to Work Scheme

The Access to Work scheme provides financial assistance to help individuals with disabilities or health conditions overcome barriers to employment. Chronic pain sufferers may be eligible for support such as workplace adaptations, assistive technology, and travel expenses to enable them to work despite their condition.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

SSP is a statutory benefit that provides financial support to employees who are unable to work due to illness or injury. Chronic pain sufferers who are employed may be entitled to SSP if they meet the eligibility criteria, including earning above the lower earnings limit and providing proof of incapacity to work.

Read more about SSP at Gov.UK

It's important for chronic pain sufferers to explore their eligibility for these financial support options and seek advice from relevant government agencies or welfare rights organisations to ensure they receive the support they are entitled to. 

Additionally, people may also consider seeking legal advice from solicitors specialising in welfare benefits law to navigate the application process and appeal any decisions if necessary.

If you are looking to claim financial support as a result of an accident we can assist you, and it will form part of the advice you will receive when bringing a claim for personal injury. Get in touch with FT Chronic Pain Solicitors, today.


bottom of page